Once upon a time, I worked for a company called IBM, and lived in a city called Tokyo. One of my roles there was to drive the adoption of social media (inside the firewall). I spent a whole lot of time thinking about, observing and participating in online conversations – and came to see the value of them as this: you learn. And that’s the main reason I started this blog in January.
I was passionate about the issue of food waste, though I only had a little bit to say about it – maybe enough material for an entry or five. But I knew that through the act of writing, I would come to think more deeply about the subject, and start to connect with people who would push me in new directions. I was excited at the prospect of finding those people, and those directions.
Two of those people turned out to be Shannon, who writes dirt n kids, and Nicole Brait, who writes The Sustain Blog – both of whom recently received nominations for the Kreativ Blogger Award and the Versatile Blogger Award, for obvious reasons. Shannon writes with humor and warmth about the things she’s passionate about (dirt & kids). She also manages to raise 4 kids without generating more than a small bag of trash a week. Nicole writes about a variety of sustainability topics, and has made me consider things I would never have thought of, like raising bees (although we have no yard, which I guess is a show stopper).
So, what do these awards mean? Well, for one thing, they give you the opportunity to highlight a few blogs you like, and nominate them for an award. Both Shannon and Nicole included 222 million tons on their lists of nominees. Many thanks to them both for that [insert acceptance speech here], and now it’s my turn to highlight a few blogs that I enjoy:
- Wasted Food
- food to glow
- two spoons
- The culinary chronicles
- Closet Cooking
All of these are ones I check out regularly (though there are many more). Some have been nominated before, but I just wanted to highlight them here for those with similar interests. And some would not consider Grist a blog per se, but it is built on WordPress, so I decided it could be included.
As a nominee, I am also meant to share 7 fun facts about myself, so here goes:
- I’m a fan of sci-fi – and have written a few SF stories and one screenplay (all of which I hope to sell one of these days).
- I serve at the pleasure of Edo & Pyx, two feline foundlings from Kanagawa Prefecture in Japan – and once spent 8 weekends enlisting the inhabitants of a small Japanese village in a massive (and ultimately successful) search for Edo, who was lost far from home.
- Mac. Not PC – though I did like OS/2 in it’s day.
- I have a real passion for photography. I started sharing some travel pictures and stories online on Geocities in 1999 to show our families what we were up to in Asia, and have been sharing pictures on flickr since 2005.
- These days, I am consulting in Singapore about ⅓ of the time, and am in a state of perpetual jet lag.
- I hope to spend more time writing, speaking, thinking, and doing something about food waste and other issues I care about, and am looking for ways to do that. It’s time to make a difference.
- I have reason to believe that I’m being stalked by royalty.